Friday, July 20, 2012

Heartsick


I am sickened and appalled by news of the mass shootings in Colorado. I am angry, and sick, and so grieved. 

When will we see that this world has not become a better place by force of man's reason, discovery, and innovation. Mankind will not make itself better by creating it's own virtue and thinking good and fine-sounding thoughts. When I was a child, children were not killing their parents, nor parents their own children. Men did not burst into schools and coffee shops and crowded theaters and murder innocents. Acts of evil are on the rise. We are not being enlightened into a greater state of virtue.

Just as the Bible prophesied, "Sin will be rampant everywhere, and the love of many will grow cold." (Matt 24:12)..."But mark this: There will be terrible times in the last days. People will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, without love, unforgiving, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not lovers of the good, treacherous, rash, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God— having a form of godliness but denying its power." (2 Timothy 3:1-5)

From slanderous, hateful discourse on the airwaves, to the worship of self that tears families and relationships apart, brutality in our communities, unashamed extortions in the white-collar sector, and any number of breaking news stories that continue to slap us daily with their sensationalism until we are almost lulled into a complacency of "well, that's just the way it is," hateful, horrid acts are on the rise. This is our world of mankind despising and refusing to acknowledge it's Creator. "I do not want you, God. Even if you do exist, I want to live my life my way thank you very much." Just as in times of old when another culture had fallen into depravity and "everyone did what was right in his own eyes" (Judges 21:25), it will not go well when there is a sliding scale for right and wrong.

We can debate philosophies and loiter in the ethereal land of grand thoughts and ideas, but it does not change the fact that man is born into sin. One does not have to strain to see that we have "all sinned and fallen short of the glory of God." Which parent has ever had to teach his child to lie? And how many of you have had to give tantrum lessons? "Repeat after me, son...Mine! Mine!" This inherent self-centeredness is just that, inherent. We are born with it. And even as adults we continue to battle...or give in to...this inner drive to preserve self, seek our own gain, to have control, to be lords of our own lives. It's not working. It never has, it never will. There is a presence of evil that desires to rule men's souls. Believing that he does not exist is just as perilous as denying God's existence.

For there is an authority to which we will all bow one day, either here or on the other side of this life. And there is also One who can free us from our slavery to sin and give us peace with our creator. His name is Jesus. A name that has been reviled and mocked from the time he walked upon this earth until now. Sent by God the Father not to just say and do amazing things, but in obedience to his Father, to take the penalty for the sin of all mankind; to die a horrible death on a cross for not only every sick and heinous thought, word or deed that has been done, but even for our seemingly passive rebellion against God and what He has declared to be right and true. He was crucified, died, and was raised to life again, our sin upon His shoulders, so that we could be free from sin and live a new life by His spirit. By His death and resurrection we can know peace with the Father in heaven who created us, now and for eternity. Jesus..."Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved." (Acts 4:12) Only in His power we can battle against our sin and selfishness and let our lives reflect a goodness that is truly good. 

I may not have ever been tempted to walk into a crowded room and open fire, but I have opened my mouth and spewed out hurtful words that surely have wounded and killed the hearts of others. I am a selfish person. I am a wretched woman. And I am so thankful to know God, to have a Savior who saves me eternally, and saves me everyday...especially from myself. A Savior who forgives me and calls me to seek forgiveness for the messes I've made. How I need Him! So please...I beg you...wake up friend! Wake up world! We are not getting better on our own. Turn to Jesus. Be whole, be healed, be forgiven.

I could go on and on, but I already have... My heart is heavy with grief as I am once again forced to look upon the tragic effects of sin. 

Oh God, have mercy on us. Have mercy on our land. We are sick and so very sad today. Many are grieving and aching...free-falling into despair. Be their hope, their life, their comfort. We need you, Jesus. May we cry out to You today in humility and repentance, "Heal me, Lord, and I will be healed; save me and I will be saved, for you are the one I praise." (Jeremiah 17:14) 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's talk! This blog is a one way conversation without your response. I'd love to hear your comments...please check back for my reply. Life and laughter is best enjoyed with friends. Thanks for stopping by!