Tuesday, August 28, 2012

This morning in Cleaver-ville...


Doorbell rings...little neighbor girl and her friends standing on the porch...

"Well hi, Sophia!"

She fumbles with a piece of paper and finally gets it all unfolded...
"We were wondering if you've seen any of these spiders at your house?" Holds up small chart showing photos of the local usual suspects..."We're asking the neighbors if they'd like us to inspect their houses for spiders."

"Well actually Ty sprayed our house for spiders, so I think they're all dead."

"Hmm...Have you ever seen a wolf spider?"

"Yes I have!"

Turns to little journal-holding boy next to her..."Ok, write that down..."

(Insert laughing out loud on the inside, while keeping a straight face on the outside.)

After commending them on their lack of fear for the aforementioned eight-legged varmints and recommending that they not get too close to any of them...I sent them on their way, but the smile they left behind lasted me quite a while.

 


I remember when it was my kids and their band of friends embarking on similar escapades: Sidewalk chalk cities complete with bank, grocery store, and...drive-thru espresso stand. Battalions of army men fighting the good fight. Bike riding in and around the driveways of the "friendly" neighbors. Street hockey. Slip n' sliding, and in the winter, sledding down the backyard slope. 

And Sophia? She is the daughter of one of that "band of friends." 

So on these sunny summer days when I hear the outdoor laughter and see kids huddled at play or rallying on bikes, I muse at the passing of time. We've lived in this house for twenty-one years. Wow...I'm one of the old moms now! And I may be tempted to feel my years...just as I now have to feel around for my reading glasses...but most days it makes me happy to be one of the "friendly" neighbors whose house surely needs a spider inspection. 


2 comments:

  1. Ridiculously cute. I don't think we were quite that originally awesome

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure you were, but I didn't write it all down. :(
      Falls under the category: Things I would do differently.

      Delete

Let's talk! This blog is a one way conversation without your response. I'd love to hear your comments...please check back for my reply. Life and laughter is best enjoyed with friends. Thanks for stopping by!