Monday, January 7, 2013

The Joy of the Lord Is Your Strength


Have you ever heard God speak?
Or known that He arranged a conversation, a random blessing,
or even a song on the radio just for you?


Today I met a lovely woman, the sister of a lovely friend.
As I began to depart our conversation she grabbed my hand and said
...and I'm paraphrasing because I was so taken off guard at the moment:

"I have to tell you something." She met my quizzical look with, 
"I can see that the joy of the Lord is your strength."

I suppose I said something in response, though I can't tell you what it was.
Maybe a surprised, "Thank you?"

She went on to say, "As you walked over I could just see it all over your face!"

And this part I do remember...Me, "Wow. Praise God!" 
Then I tapped my fist over my heart and said, "I'm taking that with me...Thank you." 

And I walked away marveling at the voice of God. 

How could she see the joy of the Lord and NOT that I was hanging by a thread between composure and tears? How did that not show, God? And that verse? She has no idea that there's a history between You and me with that verse. I just met her.

How many times have I found myself in a muddle of tears, or fears, depression, or even the beginnings of a hard heart and run to You...knowing that if I can just fix my eyes back upon Your lovely face, Your holiness, majesty, restoring my joy in knowing You, Your grace and precious promises...that all would be turned right again? Shifting sand would turn to rock and I would have the strength to move on, to receive comfort, forgiveness, to press on.

And here again, in the midst of day two of a new difficult circumstance that wanted to rock my emotions even as I fought for faith, You brought the words,


"The joy of the Lord is your strength." 

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

Reveling in You...in worship, in prayer, or immersed in Your word, cultivating that joy in You has always been like finding true north again. No longer lost. No longer bereft or despairing. Eyes on You and the path becomes clear and straight. Eyes on You and weak knees are shored up, weariness replaced with fortitude, thankfulness...joy.

Thank you for Your voice today, Jesus, through a stranger no less...a precious sister in Christ who was bold enough to grab my hand and earnestly meet my gaze with the declaration and the promise of, "The joy of the Lord is your strength." Your words to me, perfectly timed...and reminding me of another truth:

"As for God, His way is perfect; the word of the LORD is flawless. 
He is a shield for all who take refuge in Him." 
2 Samuel 22:31

And thank you, sweet sister, for speaking what the Lord laid on your heart. You many never know that it meant the world to me in that moment as, on the inside with emotions waging war, your words reminded me that the Lord was near. And it let me know that even in the midst of a trial, His light could be reflected in my countenance. Wow. Praise Him, indeed!

"The joy of the Lord is your strength."
Nehemiah 8:10

I truly am holding this close to my heart in the days and weeks ahead.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's talk! This blog is a one way conversation without your response. I'd love to hear your comments...please check back for my reply. Life and laughter is best enjoyed with friends. Thanks for stopping by!