Saturday, May 14, 2011

T minus 2 days


As Monday approaches, so does the time of departure for one sweet daughter and a squirrelly, so-cute-you-wanna-kiss-her-whole-face-all-the-time grand daughter. As much as the quiet and a chance for much needed down time beckon, I will miss them terribly. It's funny how caring for a baby does not seem burdensome as a grandma. You see, I didn't care how much sleep I got or didn't get, I was happy to hear the sound of that sweet little babbling voice coming up through the heater vents way too early in the morning. I wanted to go snatch her out of bed so her momma could sleep a little longer, but I never seemed to make it down in time to do that. So I'd settle for feeding her or watching her play while Jill took a break. And I'd dream of how fun it would be to get to play "nanny" any time I wanted to...if only they lived nearby, and of how great it would be to have coffee dates with Jill, sit together on the couch and just talk, or pour over the target.com website together in search of home decor bargains. We don't need amazing excursions. I like the ordinary times of just being together, talking about life and parenting, laughing at Cadence, or watching a cheesy movie. 

Oh, how I have treasured our little oasis of chaos during these past three weeks: tag team errand running with one car to share, a baby's antics to help lighten the mood if wedding details got too stressful, hearing my daughters laughing together or disappearing somewhere to have a private heart-to-heart, juggling visits to family with appointments and baby naps and trips to the grocery store, playing peek-a-boo when so many other things needed doing. I don't think I could have handled all that while on the countdown to Jillian's wedding. I was a rookie then. Everything was a new faith walk and I was running a pretty tight ship. But this time around the noise and numerous speed bumps just seemed to make me smile. I knew full well that there would be time enough for quiet and order. 

So I will savor these last days of being mom and grandma up close and personal. There will be laundry to do, suitcases to pack, and goodbyes to be said. There will be diapers to change, and bottles to wash, and owies to kiss. Life won't begin after they're gone. Life is now, amidst the baby clutter and towels to fold and dinner to make. I won't wish it away. I like that the Lord has enlarged my embrace of all things family and busy and boisterous. I see His grace so much sooner in this season of life. And at "T minus 2 days," I don't want to miss a thing.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's talk! This blog is a one way conversation without your response. I'd love to hear your comments...please check back for my reply. Life and laughter is best enjoyed with friends. Thanks for stopping by!