Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Does Youth Ministry Matter?


I received an email while on vacation that posed the question, "Is there a biblical basis for youth ministry? if so, why does it matter?" The email asked for a response. This is an adaptation of my response:

My quick answer to the question of youth ministry is that Jesus said to go and make disciples. He didn't specify how that would look, but we are to be encouraging others to know and follow Jesus. To this end, youth ministry has biblical validity. To this end, women's ministry, men's ministry, children's ministry, married's ministry, etc. has biblical validity.

But...I also feel that our youth need to not be so compartmentalized that they are separate from the rest of the church body. This allows adults to forego their responsibility of encouraging those younger in the faith, sometimes including their own children. "Let the youth pastor teach my child" or "handle this crisis." All adults need to "man up" and take responsibility for those who are younger in years and in faith. Instead of just sending them off the be counseled by a pastor, what if "we" got on our knees in desperation seeking wisdom to bring counsel to one of our young brothers or sisters? Or what if "we" committed to pray diligently for our youth..even for just one or two of them consistently? What if "we" intentionally sought out a young person to know and encourage? Too often we are content to pass on the hard stuff to a "professional"...whatever that means. Aren't we all commanded to be prepared in season and out so that we can give an answer for the hope that we have? To rightly handle the word of truth? To speak the truth in love? To keep on praying for "all" the saints? Are we willing to apply this to our preparation and action in coming alongside teens and young adults? 

I believe it is a wonderful thing to provide a place for teens to find fellowship and encouragement, but I also believe that the church needs to be admonished and challenged  to incorporate these "adults-in-the-making" into the life of the church body. Into our lives. The world is intimidated by teens. We are not to look like the world, but to walk in faith, trust, and obedience. How will teens ever learn that this works or is even worthwhile if we're too lazy to do it on their behalf? To show them, not just tell them. To share with them how God is working in our lives, that His promises are true. To take them along on our journeys, if that's what it takes. 

Many years ago the Lord very clearly said to me, "How will you ever be able to look your children in the eye and tell them that they can trust the Lord if you will not?" I knew all the verses, had all the pat answers, but I was cowering in fear and in rebellion (nicely labeled "sins of omission"). It has been a crazy, hard journey for me since then. I have not arrived, nor am I perfect, but BAH! I just have to keep pressing on! When one part of the body suffers (is sick, weak, ineffective, given over to sin), we all suffer. There is so much at stake! Our "kids" aren't following Jesus, to a great degree, because we aren't following Jesus. Youth ministry is only running around plugging leaks until we who "by this time ought to be teachers..." (Heb 5:11-14) start taking our lives as Jesus' followers seriously. 

So, yes, I believe that there is biblical validity for youth ministry as a specialized focus...but it must be combined with a whole body focus. Why would a kid be excited about becoming an adult, in life and in faith, when we as "grown ups" really do make it look lame, insignificant, powerless, and fake? Our kids are dying out there and all we adults often do is wring our hands, stand around and talk about the sad state of "kids today", point condemning fingers at sinful behavior, or say by our actions, "You're not worth my time. Your problems are too hard and ugly. I have no patience to walk this path of growing up with you. And, by the way, can you just get your act together, you're taking up my valuable time and making me look bad." 

And in venting all this, I have to acknowledge that there are many godly parents and adults who are taking this seriously. But far too many adults are reluctant to wrap their minds, their hearts, and their time around caring for these young people, whether in formal "youth ministry" or in just doing life with teens. 

We need to be on our faces for our kids. We need to be searching the scriptures for wisdom, and acting on what is said so that we will be healed, trained up, fully prepared for those works ordained for us...including coming alongside those younger than us. We need to believe that God will be victorious in their lives...and ours. And, yes, I am preaching all this to myself too, because I am by nature lazy and as prone to lose my zeal as anyone. 

Thanks for asking the question. I've been spurred on by answering it. 

**********
And I would add this: 

Young people are not scary, but by giving in to this lie we are leaving them vulnerable to the speaker of that lie. As I have heard my youth pastor say over and over, "The world is a relentless discipler." It is hitting our kids from all sides, 24/7. If you saw a toddler standing alone beside a busy freeway, would you just drive by saying, "Well, I'm not called to children's ministry?" Our teens are in danger. Will you stop? The battle is real and we stand on the side of the victorious One, but are we instead only sitting on the sidelines? The very power of God that rose Christ from the dead lives in us! It is His power that works in us to will and to do according to His good purpose. Nothing is impossible with God! He says, "Do not be afraid! Do not be discouraged for the Lord your God is with you!" There is no time for sitting, we are needed in the battle. If this spurs even one person on in committing to grow up, or to pray, or to come do life with teens in youth ministry, then it has been worth sharing. 

One very exhausting youth camp as I asked the Lord why I was even there He took me to Psalm 145, verses 4-7:

One generation commends your works to another; 
   they tell of your mighty acts. 
They speak of the glorious splendor of your majesty— 
   and I will meditate on your wonderful works.
They tell of the power of your awesome works— 
   and I will proclaim your great deeds. 
They celebrate your abundant goodness 
   and joyfully sing of your righteousness.

And so I press on. Will you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's talk! This blog is a one way conversation without your response. I'd love to hear your comments...please check back for my reply. Life and laughter is best enjoyed with friends. Thanks for stopping by!