Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Croatia: Cappuccino Morning...Part 9


It is noon and very hot here in Ogulin. It seems that we are having the same weather here as you are in Spokane. I would have so much extra space in my suitcase without all the fall clothes I brought. C'est la vie! We left for a short walk after breakfast this morning and stopped in a couple of shops where I bought the scarf that I only looked at yesterday. We then met Darko and his girlfriend, Ivanka, at the caffe bar. It has a spacious outdoor seating area, as do most of the caffe bars here, and is called Stari Grad, which means Old Town. Darko goes there every day at 10am. He calls it his office. (This is where we went to hear the blues band last week.) It is a newer place built in a location where there was once a military fort during the war there in the 90s. Many people there sent their children to live elsewhere during that time. It is sad to think of this quiet little town being torn by war. On the same block as the caffe bar is another new building with a paved square and some playground toys. All signs of the military presence have been erased and replaced with these lovely buildings where people can gather and enjoy family and friendship.

All in all yesterday and today were quieter for us. We met Darko for coffee last night after dinner, then went back to our hotel and watched a movie - Signs. I like that movie. Kind of strange and philosophical. An alien movie that isn't really about aliens. Anyway...today is also a bit less packed with activity. I am escaping the heat sitting here at the hotel computer and mom has gone across the street to the jewelry store. We may go visit Marica again this afternoon. She is the lovely very old woman that we visited our first week here. She knows everything about the family history. Darko's girlfriend, Ivanka, is having us over for dinner this evening.

One thing that we've noticed here are all the little bakery shops. There are at least five within an 8 block radius. They are small shops - a chain called Mivit - that sell loaves of bread, pastries, croissants, cakes and cookies, as well as savory things like pizza by the slice and pasteries that are filled with potatoes, cheese or pizza flavored sauce. The croatian word for cakes and baked goodies is kelači. These little shops stay very busy all day.

One memory I will keep from Ogulin is from the outdoor concert we attended briefly on Sunday night. The singer, Đani Stipaničev, is very well known here and had a wonderful baritone voice. The castle that sits right next to our hotel has a lovely lawn within it's walls and a stage is built up next to the castle building. This is where the concert was held. We entered the castle enclosure on this lovely warm evening and saw the lawn packed with people - old, young, families, and single people - from the town and the surrounding area. Many were standing and small children ran and played in the open spaces. As this man sang traditional songs of Dalmatia (the southern coastal area of Croatia), he would pause and the audience would sing out the words beautifully and without any reservation. It was such a lovely sound and such a wonderful gathering of this small community.

As our days are less full of activity I find myself missing home even more. Our time here has been memorable and I am so glad to have met these kind people who have given us the best of their time and hospitality. But I will be very glad to be back in my home, not living out of my suitcase. I am longing to hug my husband and my children and my sweet baby girl, Cadence. I look forward to seeing all of your faces.

Traveling has a way of expanding one's view of the world, and for that I am so grateful. There are many things that we take for granted in the US. And there are cultures everywhere who love their families and their way of life just as much as we do. They are so proud of their heritage here. Like most of you, I knew nothing of Croatia before I came. It is a beautiful country. Rolling, forested hills and mountains. Lakes everywhere. And the Adriatic coastline is some of the most beautiful of it's kind in the world. Tourists are just beginning to discover it's beauty. The sea is clear and blue and has wonderful beaches, sandy and rocky for swimming and just enjoying the sun. Zagreb is just a 2 hour drive to the sea and Ogulin, one hour. Many people make that drive on the weekends to enjoy this treasure of blue green sea and fresh air.

These are my reflections after a morning of walking and cappuccinos. I think a nap would be lovely, so I'll say goodbye for today. God is good and I am blessed. Now it is time to rest.

You are close in my thoughts,
Bernadette

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's talk! This blog is a one way conversation without your response. I'd love to hear your comments...please check back for my reply. Life and laughter is best enjoyed with friends. Thanks for stopping by!